Saturday 15 April 2017

Quest for a 4lb perch

The quest for a 4lb perch



 


After several blanks I finally got amongst the perch and found where they liked to feed at dusk, the prime time to catch a big old stripey! With minimal time I'd get the odd afternoon after work and the odd days holiday. I was lucky enough to catch a few different 3lb+ perch and lots of back up 2lb+ perch this winter with one recapture of a 3.8lb perch. 


 


 


 

I was happy and confident with my approach it was just a matter of getting to the lake when the conditions were right for a bite. Sadly some of the times I did have available to fish the lake it was either frozen or the conditions weren't the greatest but working five days a week and working in a busy machine shop I still fished on these occasions as it's nice to get out no matter what some times as I enjoy just being there. 


 



But with the warmer weather on the rise and the perch really on the munch I knew it was time to try and increase my efforts by getting to the lake! I'd been catching regularly from one particular water but my friend and I fancied a trip to another venue which we knew held big perch. Sadly after the long drive we were greeted by a closed lake due to a match being held on the venue! We were burnt to say the least! But maybe it was a sign? We agreed to drive back to mine and car swap and I'd drive to the usual spot! After dealing with traffic and feeling a little deflated we were both finally set up. I fished the usual area where I'd been targeting the perch, no real features other than a good bit of depth and some marginal rushes. I opted to fish all three rods on light link ledger set ups giving minimal resistance so if a perch would bite you'd have more chance of hooking the wary predators! I've made a few alterations to my set up along the way which paid dividends to my fishing! I removed the 1oz lead and attached a micro rig ring and tied on two shot making the rig even more lighter and gave the rig even less resistance. By doing this I went from getting twitchy bites to full on confident takes! Almost like carp Takes at times! So with my trusty rigs placed in three areas all with king prawns attached and a few chopped and whole king prawns chucked around the rigs I sat back and waited. 



 



I never get despondent if I don't have any takes up till dusk unless the weather is cloudy and dull! This particular session I was fishing on the end of a warm wind and there was a slight bit of cloud cover so I was fairly confident in receiving a bite before dusk. The time had now crept to 4.30pm and the light levels had just started to fade.. my first rod was away! Another confident take and I was into the first perch of the session. After a spirited fight a nice plump 2lb+ perch was in the net! Photos were taken and the perch was returned. 



 




By now my mate had received a few bites but had sadly lost them. My rods remained motionless but the light levels were dropping even more so I knew a bite could be any minute! The bobbin cracked the blank of the first rod again! Another savage bite! As soon as I lifted into this fish I knew it was a decent perch! For a few seconds I thought it even could of been a carp! But the big perch rolled on the surface quite soon into the fight! This wasn't such a good thing as now I was well aware of what was on the end! I played the perch in silence with the beat of my heart getting louder and louder! This perch really held on! The fight on my .75 test curve rods was immense! Eventually the perch graced my net! My mate immediately ran over and we both knew this perch was a monster! A monster indeed! A true dream come true and a massive relief that my quest for a 4lb perch was over for this winter! My mate took some lovely shots and I returned the perch with a big smile on my face! 


 


 



Sadly my friend lost a couple more fish and I landed another 2lb+ perch but I was over the moon! I brilliant end to a fruitful winters perch angling! Now where are those tench and crucians at?!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment